Saturday, March 19, 2011

Distraction sketches

So finally, the long-awaited sketches! I know I promised these on Wednesday, but recently I've gotten completely sick of drawing my comic strips to the point where I'm all "OKAY, DRAWING TIME BEGINS NOW!" and I put on motivational Doctor Who music and I get all my pens ready and 50 seconds later I get distracted by our shiny new button-maker and VWOOP, there goes an hour!

Anyway, two days ago I decided I'd start doing warm-up sketches to try to keep myself from getting distracted, and whadda ya know, now I get distracted doing warm-up sketches.

Anyway, here's the Distraction Sketch of a couple weeks ago (this is what kicked off the whole idea):
It's Chaperu-chan! Her clothes are based off of this Japanese doll my granddad used to own, and I copied the name from some "write your name in Japanese" website. And in case you can't tell, those hurriedly-done blob things on her kimono (Is it a kimono? Yukata? Robe-thing?) are actually majestic embroidered dragons, mutilated by my lazy artist hands. Oh well, it was fun to draw.

This is yesterday's, and I'm really exceedingly fond of it, dahling. Chapel's expression just gets me every time, it's got the right fake-shy flirtiness about it! And I really like her dress and bonnet and that weird scarf drapey thing those Regency gals always have fartin' around on their arms.

 And this is today's. I spent ages looking up reference photos for the clothes, but best of all I like Chapel's expression/dialogue. Originally the punchline was gonna be, "I should've worn waterproof kohl today" with the stuff all runny around her eyes, but I like this punchline about 20x better. It's totally how I would act as a pharaoh. And in case you're wondering where Chapel's feet are, the answer is the dress is so long it's covering them up.

More Distraction Sketches as I make them, further hampering my airtight comic strip schedule! Oh well, at some point I can paint these and turn them into a note card assortment, so it's not ALL bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment