Thursday, September 12, 2013

Chapel & Her Mod, Mod, Mod, Mod World of Fashion

Hello all! It's been a little while since I posted on here, mostly because I was stuck with a horrible case of mono that ensured that I remember very little of the entire month of April. But, I'm back to 100% now! And I wanted to talk a little bit about one of my inspirations...


My mom found this image the other day when she was on a spiritual Google pilgrimage reminiscing about dolls she'd owned as a child in the 60s and 70s. I immediately fell in love not only with this poster (one repetition of the word "mod" wasn't enough to drive the point home! They had to repeat it FOUR TIMES!!) but also Francie the doll's own clothes. I love 60s mod clothes and aesthetics both for my own outfits but also because of how they can inspire my illustrations and comics. The super-bright colors, overloads of interesting patterns, and fearlessness inherent in the mod style really appeals to me.

A sketchbook drawing I did of the mod style I like!

I love to do crafty things -- I've been knitting for years -- and it's something that's very relaxing for me. I also have a super hard time finding clothes that fit me, as I'm very small. So, I asked my dad to teach me to sew! I've now been sewing for a while. Here's the first dress I made a few months ago.




As with anything, I feel like having sewing as a hobby will help me understand the construction of clothes more, and will improve how I draw them in both Chapel and my other comics. In this vein, I decided to draw what Chapel might look like if "The Chapel Chronicles" took place in 1966!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to point out the cultural reference Joe Blitman (and/or whoever else at Mattel came up with the idea) is likely making with all of the repetitions of mod: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Mad,_Mad,_Mad,_Mad_World

    ReplyDelete