Monday, January 21, 2013

826 Valencia Wrapup!

Me teaching a different workshop, last October
Yesterday, I taught a comics workshop at 826 Valencia, a nonprofit tutoring and arts center in SF. I've taught about six classes there before, each with a different theme for the kids to base their comics around. Yesterday's theme was politics, as it just so happened to be the day of Obama's swearing-in.

I was a bit worried going into the class of how much knowledge the kids would have about today's politics and whether or not they'd be able to make jokes based on politics. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised!! The kids knew much more about politics than I expected: When I had them list basic political facts they knew, one 10-year-old student ripped off a long description of swing states and why winning Ohio was crucial to Obama's overall 2012 victory. Wow.

Once I explained my comics process and started circling around to chat with each student and develop their ideas one-on-one, you could hear little but the scratching of pencils for the next two hours. The group was totally invested in their work and stayed remarkably focused for the entire span of the class -- it was one of the best student groups I've yet had in terms of their ability to focus and their dedication to their work. When you're in the 8-11 age range, it can be difficult to work on one comic for two hours straight, but these kids rose to the challenge!

The first page in my Comics Process syllabus 
My philosophy for teaching is that the comics are borne from the kids' own imagination. I guide them through the process of developing jokes and designing their comics panels, but they are the ones who draw, plan, brainstorm, and write everything themselves. I try to teach them in a way that fosters their own creativity and shows them how to create more of their own comics in the future. When a student wrote that her favorite part of my class was how it was all about "the students' own creativity," I was proud and happy that I was able to communicate my core creative values through teaching!!

At the end of the class, even I learned a thing or two! One of the students tugged on my sleeve and said, "Emma, I really like my comic. Could I share it with the group once everyone's done?" I was surprised and delighted at this great idea, and got a quick show of hands of other students who would be interested in a "share time." Everyone loved the idea! At the end of the workshop, once each student had filled out their class surveys, I had them stand up around the table and everyone got a chance to share their comic if they wanted to. Seeing the kids read their comics out loud and laugh at each other's jokes was such a rewarding experience! I'm definitely going to incorporate a final "share time" into all my classes from now on. This was a great example of a time when the teacher is the one learning from her own students!

No comments:

Post a Comment